Source: Schlereth, Thomas J. Artifacts and the American Past. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 1996.
- Who first captured the photographic image?
- Describe the early work of the Boston Camera Club
- What is a stereograph?
- Why should students examine the photographs used in various history textbooks?
- What are some of the more obvious reasons for historian’s traditional distrust or neglect of photographic sources?
- Define “historical photograph” –
- Explain the phrase “the gradual democratization or photography”
- Describe the specific photographic contributions of the following:
- Matthew Brady-
- Jacob Riis-
- Lewis Hine-
- Walker Evans-
- Describe the specific historical significance of the following subjects of photography:
- group photograph –
- Commercial photograph –
- What is iconography?
- List a book by (full bibliography info.)
- Helmut and Alison Gernsheim –
- Robert Taft –
- Reese Jenkins –
- List three model directories for historical photographs
- What is pictorial history?
- List + EXPLAIN four major history subfields that have employed photographs to interpret the American past
- Discuss the hypothesis of Judith Mara Gutman.
16. What are the inherent limitations in the truth-telling capacities of historical photography?