See the Proposals for Carrying on a Manufacture in the Town of Boston, for Employing the Poor of Said Town to answer the following questions:
1. In the year 1767, how much did it cost the Town of Boston to maintain and support the poor?
2. On October 18, 1767, a committee was formed to consider what measures?
3. How did these measures change after the committee meetings of December 12, 1767 and January 13, 1768?
4. From what Dutch word is the ‘duck’ in ‘duck cloth’ derived? What is ‘duck cloth’?
5. How would the funds needed to purchase ‘looms, wheels and implements’ be paid? For how many years?
6. How many looms did the committee hope to maintain at the ‘manufacture house’?
7. How many pieces of duck cloth do they estimate will be manufactured each year?
8. What two countries are listed as competitors in the manufacture of duck cloth?
9. What are the advantages of using hemp as a raw material compared to using flax?