Source: Deetz, James. In Small Things Forgotten. New York: Doubleday, 1977.
1) Explain in detail the term “Vernacular building.”
2) Explain in detail the term “Academic Architecture”
3) Discuss the differences between “Vernacular Building” and “Academic Architecture”
4) List and explain the three types of evidence that permits us to understand the development of domestic architecture in Anglo-America
5) Define and give examples of the term “Focus”
6) Define and give examples of the term “visibility”
7) Explain using specific examples how a site could have poor focus and high visibility or vice versa.
8) How can houses reflect how we have changed in regards to our way of organization and looking upon the world?
9) In Plymouth Colony what was the most common style of style of house in the last quarter of the 1600’s?
10) What house holds the distinction of being the oldest timber-framed structure in the New World
B) What date?
C) How was the date determined?
11) Why is the Fairbanks house an excellent example of the pattern of growth of 17th and 18th century vernacular American houses?
12) Discuss what Hugh Morrison feels the major difference is between gothic and Renaissance architecture.
13) What is the basic English prototype form that is the core for the vast majority of folk buildings in New England?
14) Where is the chimney located in most 17th century Massachusetts Bay Houses?
15) Why is this chimney placement an adaptive architectural feature?
B) Why would Southern chimney placement be different?
17) How does the great supply of wood the colonists found in the New World lead to Architectural diversity?
18) What are clapboards?
B) Why are clapboards rarely seen in England?
19) What are “STUDS”?
20) Why did New England houses make extensive use of wooden shingles on roofs?
21) Why were there few English saltbox houses?
22) What is a “Jetty”?
23) What are the most likely explainations for using a jetty?
24) Who were the first to build log buildings in America?
25) List two reasons for the development of distinctive regional styles in New England in the late 17th and early 18th century
26) What was the name of the first Georgian Style building in America?
27) Discuss the impact of Inigo Jones on Georgian style architecture
28) List and explain six architectual attributes of Georgian Style Architecture
29) What was the single most important factor in the introduction of Georgian style into America?
30) Discuss the more striking differences between the old, medieval – derived building tradition and the classical style that influenced and replaced it in regards to the relationship among the individual, his family, his house, and his community.