Title: Beverly (Mass) Public School Records
Creator: Beverly Public Schools
Date: 1768 – 2002 (Bulk dates: 1858 to present)
Size: 48 linear feet
Repository: Beverly High School Library
Extent: Collection contains records of District administration, teaching staff and students including annual reports, school committee minutes, staff and student registers, photographs, ledgers, yearbooks, journals, handbooks, newsletters, programs, a scrapbook, architectural specifications, and videos.
Historical statement: Beverly, Massachusetts’s beginnings date from 1626 as a coastal community of seamen and farmers. School records dating from 1768 reflect the desire and organization of the community to educate its children. Since 1768 to the present, the District has witnessed the opening and closing of numerous schools or the evolvement of others to best serve the pupil population of the day. For example, several high schools have opened including ones in 1858, 1903, 1925 and the present one, the Beverly High School in 1965. Concern for educating the immigrant population and providing job and language skills caused the District to open its adult education program.
List of series:
1. Administration records.
2. Enrollment records
3. High School records
4. Athletic Association records
5. Adult education records
1. Administration records include school committee minutes (1768 – 1804, 1885 – 1988), annual reports (1860 – 1946), ledgers (1815 – 1828, 1902 – 1950), manuals and handbooks of staff, rules and regulations (1903 – 1912).
2. Enrollments records include registers (1858 – 1946) with school names, teaching staff, and students in the elementary, junior high, and high school levels.
3. High School records include The Aegis (a literary journal, 1902 – 2002 with 1994 – 1997 missing), student handbooks (1899 – 1999 with gaps), yearbooks (1937 – 2001), and newsletters (1894, 1996 – 2001).
4. Athletic Association records (1903 – 1975) include minutes, ledgers, and photographs on the athletic programs for young men and women.
5. Adult education records (1895 – 1914, 1925 – 1946) include the registers of adult students for classes in citizenship, English, commercial, electronics, and carpentry.
Subjects: Beverly (MA) – History
Education – Beverly – Massachusetts
Education – Immigrants – Massachusetts
Immigrants – Massachusetts
Athletics – education – Beverly – Massachusetts
Photographs – athletics
Named person: Patten, Claude H.
Organization of collection: By document type and chronological.
Finding aid: Database summary of documents, subjects and location.
Survey completed: May, 2002
Surveyed by: Margaret M. Cornell, Archivist by a grant from the Northeast Massachusetts Regional Library System (NMRLS).